Medicare Annual Wellness Visits
The Medicare annual wellness visits were established in 2011 as an additional benefit for Medicare recipients. Since then, many patients have had questions about what the visit does and does not entail. In order to better assist our patients, we have created a guide that will explain how the Medicare annual wellness visits work and what you can expect.
What is a Medicare annual wellness visit?
If you have had Medicare Part B medical insurance for longer than 12 months, you are entitled to an annual wellness visit once every 12 months. Your annual wellness visit is covered by Medicare, and you will not be required to make any out of pocket expenses. However, you may incur a copayment or deductible expense if you request additional services, or if your doctor orders additional testing.
This visit is designed to give patients an opportunity to develop a personalized prevention plan to improve health and prevent disease. A routine wellness visit includes the following services:
- Performing routine measurements such as height, blood pressure and body mass index
- Reviewing and updating medications, vitamins and supplements you are currently taking
- Reviewing and updating your personal and family medical history
- Discussing the care you are currently receiving from other health care providers
- Reviewing your functional ability
- Requesting personalized health advice that includes your risk factors and conditions
While the services listed above are included with a Medicare annual wellness visit, it is important to keep in mind that this visit is not a full physical examination. A Medicare annual wellness visit:
- Does not cover full physical examinations
- Does not treat or diagnose new or existing conditions
- Does not cover additional tests recommended by your physician
Choose Bhat Internal Medicine for Medicare annual wellness visits
If you are a Medicare Part B recipient who would like to schedule a Medicare annual wellness visit, the team at Bhat Internal Medicine will be happy to assist you. Drs. Muralikrishna and Sheela Bhat have more than a quarter-century of experience in internal medicine, and can provide you with the best possible care.
We accept most major insurance plans, including Medicare, and are willing to coordinate financial arrangements for our clients.
If you have more questions about a Medicare annual wellness visit, or wish to schedule an appointment, please call our office at 520-290-9151 Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Fridays 8 a.m. to noon.